ET PENDANT CE TEMPS LÀ ...

February 11, 2015

INTERVIEW VIA LIFO.GR

Introduce yourself
An old man who has always been interested in art but who had never hold a spray can in his hand. Fascinated by those who risked jail for their paintings. Hulk explanes very well why he designed on trains when he said : «I know I am a stupid man doing that. Taking risk for that. It's a teenage and unconscious thing, but when you love to create something, it‘s different ».

How and when did you decide to take pictures of trains ?
Since 2008 I take the train every day for my job. So I haven’t got much time left to visit museums and exhibitions. The graffiti on trains became their replacements. For me there isn’t any difference between a visit to an artgallery and the station of Namur (Belgium). At the beginning my target was that other people would discover the art of graffiti; to present young artists but I found out that people outthere aren’t ready yet.

Tell us details about the most difficult photo-shoot for you.
It’s not difficult because I only take pictures of trains in the station. It’s important to find the right angle, a light and a shadow.

Who are the most famous train-writers in Belgium? Who are your favorites ?
Those who come immediately at my mind are Shock, Rush, Nawas, PSK, Noach and Animals, but I definitely forgot some. Belgium is a « pass-through » country and lots of foreigners come to Belgium to design. My favourites: Zolk for his creative explosion, Amer for his hand, Shock for his clearness and Animals for their colours.

What is the reaction of the Belgian society about train writers ?
Reaction I hear most is « It’s vandalism but there are some lovely ones ». At the judicial level, writers caught will be punished by paying a fine or they need to do some work for the government ; send to jail can also happen but is very rare.

Who are your favorite street artists ?
I don’t know many of them. Defo is the one I like a lot for his personnality and the way he is and for his classicism and his construction / deconstruction of the sign.

What camera do you use ?
I use a Sony Cybershot DSC-H70 in autofunction, without flash.

Tell us about your exhibition and the collaboration with the Wellin municipal library and your blog.
First of all you must know that Wellin is a small village in the south of Belgium. The librarian can organise the exhibitions he wants. As I’m working as a volunteer at the library it was logic to organise this exhibition. Of course it wasn’t a success but our main target was to do it for our own pleasure.

What are your future plans ?
Staying alive for a couple of years and find somewhere a graffiti from Ozon or a whole car of Animals.

More : lifo.gr